Good qualities a best science tutor must have

Good qualities a best science tutor must have

Before we get into a discussion of the good qualities of a science tutor, let me take you through a step by step analysis of how PSLE science works. This understanding will explain why parents are finding it difficult to choose a good science tutor for their children.

How does PSLE science work?

Science education is different from other subjects. There is a simultaneous need for a grasp of language skills as well as conceptual understanding and application skills. Bloom’s taxonomy comes into play at a higher level. In simple terms, students need the skills of analysis, comparison, and creation to really excel in science.

Students who can quickly understand questions and have a strong grasp of basic concepts are the ones who score an A. Keeping this in mind, parents get worried about finding the best science tutor to train their children for such a tough examination. The trick is to understand that it is not difficult for a child to learn these higher-order thinking skills.

How do you assess a science tutor?

  • Science tutors coach students on how to evade the most common mistakes in science and have a strong habit of:
  • Reading questions and answer options carefully 
  • Focusing on key concepts rather than rote memorization
  • Paying attention to small details in drawings/graphs/tables
  • Highlighting the right keywords 
  • Relating the question to the right concept/fact/principle

Remember to go through the resources once yourself - spend a few minutes on this and you will find it worth it. It is important for the parent to be involved in their child’s education. There are a lot of options when it comes to science tuition online providers, where even parents can track the learning progress of their children.

Read this -How to pick the right science tuition online?

What about PSLE Science?

40% of the questions in a PSLE science paper require students to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of scientific facts, concepts, and principles. However, scoring an A needs more work, as pupils need to tackle the remaining 60% of questions that require them to apply concepts and principles to new situations. This means that your children’s English level needs to be on par with their science skills. 

Skills that are needed for tutoring PSLE science :

  • Fluency in English 
  • The scientific method of thinking and teaching 
  • Spaced revision and remediation (repeating the concepts to check their understanding every ten days or so)
  • Consistent use of scientific language so that students can feel comfortable using scientific keywords
  • Have a concern for the child and address their issues, if any apart from learning science

Before you land up choosing a science tutor, make sure you go over the above points so that you are sure of having a competent tutor for your child.